- The country of Belarus is undergoing a wave of protests as the people are out on the streets protesting against the reigning president Lukashenko who has been president since 1994
- Despite 5 different elections from the time he was elected to present day, none of which has been deemed as free and fair
- However, during this year's election, a popular Youtuber, Sergei Tsikhanouski, was arrested and prevented from running as a presidential candidate. As a result, Sergei's wife, Svetlana ran as a presidential candidate.
- Despite having popular support, she only won 10% of the vote which has led to widespread protests. When she contested the results, she was locked in a room. It has now been announced that she has fled the country.
- Protests have continued, which have now gotten violent where at least three thousand people have been arrested, one protester has died, and an unknown number have been injured
- Additionally, there is a lack of information as authorities have tried to impose a blockade on information
- Nevertheless, the protests are still raging on and the fate of the last European dictator is something to pay attention towards in the near future as the situation continues to unfold